Nyaaya announces the Samvidhaan Fellowship 2022-23, a one-year paid fellowship that will give six grassroots lawyers from Karnataka an opportunity to work on closing the last-mile gap in accessing justice.
About the Organization
Nyaaya is an open-access, digital resource that provides simple, actionable, reliable, and accessible legal information in multiple formats, helping solve day-to-day legal problems so that citizens are aware of their rights and feel empowered to seek justice.
About the Opportunity
Furthering Nyaaya’s commitment to making both the law and legal mechanisms accessible to those at the grassroots, Nyaaya launches the Samvidhaan Fellowship in Karnataka to close the last-mile gap in accessing justice.
The Samvidhaan Fellowship is a one-year paid fellowship that will support six grassroots lawyers from Karnataka to close the last-mile gap in accessing justice.
The Fellows will be practicing district-level lawyers with litigation experience and a demonstrated interest in legal awareness work. They will work with the Nyaaya Team and Nyaaya’s partner community-based organizations to create and disseminate actionable legal information to beneficiaries creating awareness about rights and entitlements guaranteed under various Indian laws and government schemes.
The Fellows will answer all their audience’s legal questions and assist them in navigating the legal system while enforcing their rights. Finally, they will also identify areas for collective action and work with the Nyaaya Team to spearhead.
This Fellowship will primarily be field-based. Fellows will need to either be located in Karnataka or should be ready to relocate there. The duration of the Fellowship will be 12 months. The Fellowship will require a minimum of 20 hours of work per week.
Number of Positions
Roles and Responsibilities Fellow
- Primary Tasks
- Help create contextual, legal awareness content in their regional language based on the needs of the communities they work with.
- Answer questions received from beneficiaries of grassroots organisations that Nyaaya collaborates with.
- Provide legal advice and representation, and contribute strategic guidance to advocacy issues identified by grassroots organisations.
- Provide capacity building for partner organisations, volunteers, and community reporters on legal issues.
- Secondary Tasks
- Conduct legal awareness sessions focusing on helping citizens understand legal information through Nyaaya content on rights and entitlements available to them.
- Create written and/or audio-video content based on local needs and legal developments in their region.
- Help volunteers and community members represent their issues in public hearings, etc.
- Identify issues that could require pro-bono litigation or policy-level intervention
- Is a highly skilled lawyer working at the grassroots who is fluent in Kannada.
- Minimum of three years of litigation experience.
- Has subject area expertise in labor rights, gender rights, or rights of marginalized communities .
- Have Understanding of social protection schemes and entitlements.
- Has worked on grievance redressal and understands the process.
- Has demonstrated interest in legal awareness work in the past.
- Is willing to build community skills on identified issues.
- Has been nominated by a grassroots organization
How to Apply?
- CLICK HERE, for Official Notification and Application
- Then, submit BOTH the forms given below
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Hence, the earlier you apply, the better. We will not consider applications after the deadline
- Application Deadline : September 5, 11:59 PM IST for both the Application Form and the Nomination Form